Former Wings guitarist and Northern Ireland music legend Henry McCullough dies
The 72-year-old was from Portstewart and was one of Paul McCartney’s favourites in the early days of Wings.
Born in 1943, he took up the guitar as a boy. He supported Jimi Hendrix and went on to play with some of the biggest names in music, including Joe Cocker and then Paul McCartney & Wings.
After leaving Wings after just one album he later turned to session work with major stars.
He also played with Marianne Faithfull, Dr Feelgood and Pink Floyd and played the original Peace and Love Festival at Woodstock.
He also toured extensively with his own band.
Over recent years Mr McCullough had suffered ill health.
A concert was organised in Dublin to help raise funds for his ongoing care.
Well-known Irish musicians, many of whom worked alongside McCullough, played Vicar Street for a special Salute To Henry fundraising concert.
Among the artists taking part were Christy Moore, Declan Sinnott, Mick Flannery, John Spillane, Johnny Duhan, Honor Heffernan, The Ed Deane Band and The Kevin Doherty Band. Two bands for whom he played in the past, Sweeney's Men, and Fleadh Cowboys, are also part of the line-up.
On Tuesday, his agent Nigel Martyn confirmed Mr McCullough's passing.
He said Henry's long-time French partner Josie said he had died that morning.
"She had lost her one true love," he said.
Speaking in 2012 of his friend, the impresario Paul Charles said: "Henry has always been a superb musician, in demand and much loved."
"He played on the original Jesus Christ Superstar album before it ever became a hit musical.
”In his heyday he was always delighted to sit in at sessions with McCartney who eventually persuaded him to join Wings. He played lead guitar on their hit My Love."
Tributes have been made to Mr McCullough on social media.
DISCOGRAPHIE SOLO :
- Mind Your Own Business (1975)
- All Shook Up (1982), Maxi Single
- Hell of A Record (1984)
- Cut (1987)
- Get In The Hole (Live) (1989)
- Blue Sunset (1998)
- Failed Christian (1998)
- Belfast To Boston (2001)
- Unfinished Business (2002)
- The Henry McCullough Band: FBI Live (2007)
- Poor Man's Moon (2008)
- Shabby road (2012)
Other album credits
- Joe Cocker – On Air (1997) recorded 1968
- Joe Cocker – Joe Cocker! (1969)
- Joe Cocker – With a Little Help from My Friends (1969)
- Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice – Jesus Christ Superstar (1970)
- Rosetta Hightower – Hightower (1970)
- Spooky Tooth – The Last Puff (1970)
- Linda McCartney – Wide Prairie (1998) recorded 1971
- Paul McCartney -Ram (1971)
- The Grease Band – The Grease Band (1971)
- Christopher Kearney – Christopher Kearney (1972)
- Jackie Flavelle – Admission Free (1972)
- Donovan -Essence to Essence (1973)
- Dave Carlsen – Pale Horse (1973)
- Wings – Red Rose Speedway (1973)
- Viola Wills – Soft Centres (1974) re-issued as Without You
- Andy Fairweather Low – Spider Jiving (1974)
- Joe Cocker – I Can Stand a Little Rain (1974)
- Bobby Harrison – Funkist (1975)
- Joe Cocker – Jamaica Say You Will (1975)
- The Grease Band – Amazing Grease (1975) recorded 1970–71
- The Frankie Miller Band – The Rock (1975)
- Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice – Evita (1976)
- Gerry Lockran – Rags to Gladrags (1976)
- Roy Harper – Bullinamingvase U.K release. One Of Those Days In EnglandU.S.A release (1977)
- Steve Ellis – The Last Angry Man (1978) cassette issue
- Marianne Faithfull – Faithless (1978) re-issued as No regrets
- Denny Laine – Japanese Tears (1980)
- Eric Burdon – Darkness Darkness (1980)
- Ronnie Lane – Live at Rock Palast (1980)
- Ronnie Lane – See Me (1980)
- Various Artists – Alive in Belfast – The warehouse Sessions (1995)
- Roy Harper – Commercial Breaks (1994) recorded 1977
- Brendan Quinn – Small Town (2001)
- Richard Gilpin – Beautiful Mistake (2002)
- Kevin Doherty – Sweet Water (2002)
- Rev. Neil Down – When a Wrong Turns Right (2003)
- Andy Fairweather Low – Wide Eyed and Legless: The A&M Recordings(2004)
- Tim Hinkley – Hinkley's Heroes (2005)
- The Deans – The Deans (2006)
- Steve Marriott's allstars -Wham bam (2007)
- Jeff Greene – Dark Nite of the Soul (2008)
- Brendan Quinn – Sinner Man (2008)
- Joe Cocker -Live at Woodstock (2009)
- Roy Harper – Songs of Love and Loss (2011)
- Brendan Quinn – Small Town (2001)
- The Vals – Look to the One (2011)
- Paul McCartney – The Art of McCartney (2014)
Credits on singles
- Gene and The Gents – "Puppet On A String" / "Sweet Little Sixteen" (1965)
- Éire Apparent – "Follow Me" / "Here I Go Again" (1968)
- Wings – "Hi, Hi, Hi" / "C Moon" (1972)
- Wings – "Mary Had a Little Lamb" / "Little Woman Love" (1972)
- Wings – "Give Ireland Back to the Irish" (1972)
- Wings – "Helen Wheels" / "Country Dreamer" (1973) B-side only
- Wings – "Live and Let Die" / "I Lie Around" (1973)
- Wings – "My Love" / "The Mess (Live at The Hague)" (1973)